Six Canadians Killed in Afghanistan Today Print
Peace News
Sunday, 08 April 2007 03:50
Six Canadians Killed in Afghanistan Today

CBC News
- While the national broadcaster bombards the nation with peons to wars past, six Canadians entrenched in the illegal occupation of Afghanistan today became further fodder of the imperium. Vimy Ridge forevermore, Canada. - lex

www.cbc.ca

6 Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Sunday,
April 8, 2007 | 2:39 PM ET

CBC News

Six Canadian soldiers were killed in southern Afghanistan, Prime Minister Stephen Harper confirmed on Sunday.

No names or hometowns of the soldiers involved have been released. Earlier in the day, NATO reported that six soldiers had been killed by a roadside bomb in Helmand province.

"Sadly today has been a difficult day in Afghanistan," Harper said at a dinner for veterans in the French city of Lille, near historic Vimy Ridge.

"We've learned that an incident has claimed the lives of six Canadian soldiers and injured a number of others."

"Our hearts ache for them and their families, and I know as we gather here on Easter Sunday our thoughts and prayers are with them," said the prime minister, who is in France as part of the ceremonies marking the 90th anniversary of the attack on Vimy Ridge in the First World War.

The troops were serving with NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Helmand province, where the multinational force recently launched a major offensive against the Taliban.

Continue Article

Maj.-Gen. Ton van Loon, the ISAF chief of Regional Command South, said "the hearts of his soldiers" go out to the victim's families and their country.

Since 2002, 51 Canadian soldiers and a diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan, where Canada has more than 2,000 troops, with the majority in the southern province of Kandahar.

The main thrust of the offensive in Helmand province is being handled by British and American troops, with Canadian soldiers offering backup and security. About 5,000 soldiers in all are engaging the Taliban, including elements of Afghanistan's army.

In February, the Taliban said it has 6,000 fighters ready for a spring offensive and could dramatically increase that number if necessary.

Al-Jazeera reported at the time that Taliban leader Mullah Dadallah had recruited 500 suicide bombers for the campaign.

Last Updated on Sunday, 08 April 2007 03:50